The Kemal H. Karpat Center for Turkish Studies welcomes small grant applications from UW-Madison graduate students working in any area of Turkish Studies, broadly construed. The Karpat Center promotes excellence in the study of Turkish history and society, including Ottoman studies and Turkish diaspora studies. The Center recognizes the diversity of Turkish society in its past and present, and that excellence in Turkish Studies requires approaches that are interdisciplinary and inclusive of scholars from a variety of backgrounds. The Center may also support work in fields such as Anatolian archaeology that are conducted in present-day Turkey. A selection committee will review all proposals.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis during the academic year (September 1 – May 1). For summer proposals, applications must be submitted by May 1. Awards will be made on a rolling basis.
Applications may be for up to $1,000, and should further the applicant’s research or professional development.
Proposals for conference travel, research travel, and language training are all eligible for funding under this program. Proposed work must be relevant to Turkish Studies, broadly construed.
- must be graduate student in good standing in a department at UW-Madison
- must submit an unofficial UW-Madison transcript.
- must submit a brief statement of support from their advisor
- must submit a brief proposal (maximum 500 words), including itemized budget.
- must submit a final or progress report of approximately 500 to 1,000 words.
- Conference proposals should specify the conference, topic of the paper, and whether the paper has already been accepted.
- Research proposals should briefly describe the research to be conducted, including location and duration, and how the proposed research would contribute to the applicant’s dissertation or thesis. Indicate the status of any necessary research approvals (e.g., visa, IRB).
- Applications to fund language training should describe how the language will be used in the applicant’s research or other professional development
- Timeline for completion of project
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Please send your completed application as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Advisors should separately email their statement of support to email@example.com.