Carson Fish

What is or will (or might be) the focus of your dissertation research?

I’d really love to explore queer themes in contemporary Russian literature, film, and/or drama. For now that’s still very broad, but that’s the general direction I’d like to go. Given the climate in Russia around homosexuality right now, it’s also possible that I’ll dive into the world of online publications, forums, and blogs. I have a background in information science, and I’m very curious about community building and information sharing behaviors among marginalized groups. I’d love to bring some of that into my research here!

Which classes have you taught here?

I am not teaching this semester, but in the future I’m excited to get the experience teaching beginning level Russian courses. I’ve taught English before, but never Russian.

If you had to choose one work of Russian/Slavic literature that has had the most impact on you, which would it be and why?

If you’d asked me this just a few months ago, the answer probably would have been Yellow Arrow, by Pelevin. It was the work that really introduced me to contemporary Russian literature. However, over the summer I discovered Masha Gessen’s dual-language book called Gay Propaganda: Russian Love Stories. It’s a great nonfiction collection of interviews and testimonies from LGBTQ-identifying Russians. I haven’t finished the collection yet, but it’s been on my mind a lot.

Do you have a favorite place or thing to do in Madison that you wouldn’t mind sharing with us?

While the weather is still decent enough to sit outside, I’ve really been enjoying posting up at either the Union Terrace or a bar near my house with a beer and plenty of reading.